MANOR HOUSE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056565
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE FARMHOUSE, STEPHEN'S HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056565 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 06:59:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE FARMHOUSE, STEPHEN'S HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Long Sutton
National Grid Reference:
ST 46850 26050

Details

LONG SUTTON CP STEPHEN'S HILL (North side) ST42NE 6/191 Manor House Farmhouse 17.4.59 GV II

Detached farmhouse. C16 origins, with C18 and C19 work. Local lias stone, rendered on front elevation, Ham stone dressings; artificial stone slates between stepped coped gables; rendered chimney stacks. 'T'-plan; 2 storeys, 3 bays. Rubble plinth, ashlar band course at cornice level, low plain parapet to south elevation; 16-pane sash windows in plain ashlar surrounds with small keystones; to lower bay 2 a part-glazed door under diamond-glazed rectangular fanlight, protected by open stone porch of non-classical detail; C20 flat roofed dormer windows behind parapet to outer bays; from west gable a wing wall with sweep and segmental arched keystoned doorway; stone extension of C18 to rear with clay tile roof. Interior not seen, but reported are remains of a former timber frame, and moulded ceiling beams in hall; in west gable a large Ham-stone fireplace with mullioned window alongside; roof apparently raised in C19. Part of Sutton Horsey Manor, it existed by 1695, and possibly by 1568; it may have been damaged by the Kings troops in 1685. (VCH, vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4685026050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
263257
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/12821/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Barker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].