MEDIEVAL MONUMENT 1 METRE EAST OF CHANCEL, CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056570

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: MEDIEVAL MONUMENT 1 METRE EAST OF CHANCEL, CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MEDIEVAL MONUMENT 1 METRE EAST OF CHANCEL, CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056570 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 19:37:34.

Location

Statutory Address: MEDIEVAL MONUMENT 1 METRE EAST OF CHANCEL, CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Muchelney

National Grid Reference: ST 42911 24902

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MUCHELNEY CP _ ST42SW 8/213 Medieval monument 1 metre east of Chancel, Church of SS. Peter and Paul - GV II

Chest tomb. Early C15. Ham stone. Moulded base, flat top with deep gothic moulded coving; plain west end, but flanks have 6 traceried panels with cusped ogee heads and trefoils; east end has 4 panels to half-height, then an inverted 'T' panel apparently for brass plate, now missing, flanked by trefoils and ogee arched panels. Said to have had the headless effigy of an abbot. Tomb relocated after discovery on site of Abbey (q.v) during excavations of 1873 (VCR, vol III, 1914).

Listing NGR: ST4291124902

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263275

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing