This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COURT HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COURT HOUSE

List entry Number: 1056577

Location

COURT HOUSE, SILVER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Muchelney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263297

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MUCHELNEY CP SILVER STREET (North side) ST42SW LOWER MUCHELNEY 8/231 Court House 17.4.59 GV II

House. Early C18, modified 1874 and 1918. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiled roof between coped gables; stone and yellow brick chimney stacks. Double roof plan, 2-storeys with attics, 3-bay west elevation. Buttresses between bays with gabled tops and offsets, eaves course; hollow chamfer mullioned windows in wave mould recesses, 4-light to outer lower bays, with separate labels, 3-light above without labels; pitched roof gabled dormers with 3-light leaded casements to each bay; to lower bay 2 cambered arched doorway with slit window to left and 2-light window without label to right, with string course over spanning between buttresses; left of bay 1 a single light window - this and all windows have rectangular leaded panes. South west gable has single and double-light, the latter with C15 tracery - south east gable represents the 1874 addition, incorporating many features from Muchelney Abbey (q.v), including panel and cambered arched doorway and further C15 windows, including 4-light mullioned window in east return with quatrefoil panels under. Interior has some modified cambered arched doorways, a pointed Gothick plaster vault in hall and good C19 fireplace in east room. North east section added by Ralph Fry, builder, in 1918. House served as vicarage during C19. (VCH vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4280924429

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

National Grid Reference: ST 42809 24429

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056577 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 02:25:11.

End of official listing