THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056578

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, SILVER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056578 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 14:59:39.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, SILVER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Muchelney

National Grid Reference: ST 42896 24419

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MUCHELNEY CP SILVER STREET (North side) ST42SW LOWER MUCHELNEY 8/232 The Old School House - GV II

Former village school, now house. 1871-2, extended 1878 and 1883. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tile roof between coped gables with finials, saw-tooth ridge tiles; stone chimney stacks. A scholarly essay on the Priest's House (q.v). 'L'-plan, single-storey with attic, 4-bay east elevation. Bays 1 and 4 have 4-light C15 mullioned windows with square label; bay 2 has a 4-light mullioned and transomed traceried C15 'solar' window with label; to bay 3 a moulded pointed arched doorway with label, boarded door. South gable has bell-turret to south west corner, with a 4-light mullioned and transomed traceried window under square label and relieving arch. westwards extension has catslide roof and later style detail. Interior not seen. Opened early 1872, and built by the Lord of the Manor as the Parochial School, it was closed in l960, and subsequently converted (VCH vol III, l974),

Listing NGR: ST4289624419

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263298

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

End of official listing