THE TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056610

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Statutory Address: THE TOWN HALL, CHEAPSIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056610 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 22:33:50.

Location

Statutory Address: THE TOWN HALL, CHEAPSIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Langport

National Grid Reference: ST 41942 26789

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANGPORT CP CHEAPSIDE (North side) ST4126 10/102 The Town Hall 17.4.59 GV II

(Club on O.S Map). Town and market hall, 1732/33. Red brick, Flemish bond, with Ham stone ashlar and dressings; hipped pyramidal Welsh slate roof with timber bell turret. Two storeys, 3 bays. Open arcade to covered market below: all ashlar, with semi-circular arches having plinth, square columns and end piers, moulded imposts, keystoned arch architraves; across this a band course; then rusticated stone quoins to brickwork, with moulded stone eaves course; 12-pane sash windows in architraved surrounds with keystoned flat arches, and console bracketted cills; projecting clock from eaves above centre window; lead stackhead on right C19; ironwork grilles and gates to arches; inside, the undercroft has 2 central Doric stone columns, and the rear wall has corresponding arches with 2 pairs fielded panel gates and overthrows. First floor not seen. Erected on a loan from the Portreeve 1732, dated 1733 on the weathervane, a strong-room added and the kitchen improved 1836; after dissolution of the Corporation in 1886 the hall was used for local functions, and is now maintained by the Langport Town Trust (Club refers to temporary usage by the Royal British Legion, now located next door). (VCH, vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4194226789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263167

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

End of official listing