Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056615.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 20:29:21.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 42330 26747


LANGPORT CP THE HILL ST4226 11/118 The Hanging Chapel 17.4.59 GV I

Gateway spanning road with chapel over, latter now Masonic Lodge. C13 origins, mostly C15 work restored in C19. Local lias stone roughly cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; chapel has plain clay tiled roof between coped gables with ball finials. Gateway plain, with chamfered pointed arches to ends of through vault, with one small niche in each side wall of throughway; one buttress on east side; coped parapet all round to encircle walkway. Chapel apparently much restored, the east gable being rebuilt over a 3-light semi- circular arched window with possibly C18 tracery; chapel has angled corner buttresses, and in west wall a moulded pointed arched doorway without label. Extensions on south side of C19/C20, in stone with flat roof. C19 approach stairs in south west corner, with C20 handrail, up to 3-centre arched doorway set in archway wall. On north side, against gateway wall in garden of east Gate (qv) a small storehouse in lias stone, in a C12 style. Interior of chapel not accessible normally. Originally Chantry Chapel of Blessed Virgin Mary, mentioned 1344, became Town Hall 1596-1600, Langport Grammar School 1706-c1790, then an arms store, a Sunday School, and private uses until it was leased as a Masonic Lodge in 1891. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset No. 273). (VCH, vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4214226699


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15094/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Atkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].