THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, AND THE BEECHES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056635

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, AND THE BEECHES, THE HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, AND THE BEECHES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056635 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 08:48:34.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, AND THE BEECHES, THE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Huish Episcopi

National Grid Reference: ST 42409 26734

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUISH EPISCOPI CP THE HILL (North side) ST4226 LANGPORT 11/70 The Old School House, and the - Beeches GV II

Former teachers' houses to National School. 1827. Local lias stone rubble, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tile roof with bracketted eaves and highly ornamented bargeboards to gable overhangs; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys. East elevation - Old School House - of 3 bays with single- storey extension to north; bay 2 projects and is gabled. Chamfered mullioned 2-light windows with 4-centre arched lights, framing cast iron lattice casements under square labels, the upper windows to outer bays have ornamental gablets over; pointed-arched single-light windows upper bay 2 over shaped door, part glazed, in moulded cambered arched doorway with square label. West elevation - The Beeches - also 3 bays; bay 1 projects, with ornamental gable, 3-light mullioned window below and 2-light above: single light upper bay 2, tucked under eaves, and below moulded cambered archway with pair part-glazed shaped doors under lean-to porch hood of timber with Welsh slate. Two bay street elevation to catch, of which bay 2 projects. Interiors not seen. Seemingly unspoilt examples of later cottage ornee style. The school was located nearby; it opened in 1827, closed circa 1876 and was demolished by 1903. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4240726732

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263131

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

End of official listing