This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SOMERTON UNITED REFORM CHURCH, SCHOOLROOMS, AND FRONT BOUNDARY RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SOMERTON UNITED REFORM CHURCH, SCHOOLROOMS, AND FRONT BOUNDARY RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1056651

Location

SOMERTON UNITED REFORM CHURCH, SCHOOLROOMS, AND FRONT BOUNDARY RAILINGS, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Somerton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263060

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4828 SOMERTON CP WEST STREET (South side)

8/252 Somerton United Reform Church, Schoolrooms, and front boundary railings

-

GV II

United Reform Church and Schoolrooms. 1807, enlarged 3 times in C19. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Bridgwater patent clay tiles behind coped gables. Mostly 2-storey on road frontage, 5 bay facade. Bay 1 is a flat roofed projection, bays 2 to 4 the gable end of the church, and bay 5 the gable end of the schoolroom. Bay 1 has plinth, cornice and shallow parapet; doubled trefoil arched windows both levels, with single matching windows on return; bays 2 4 have plinth, string course between floor; ogee 2-light flat headed windows having square labels with headstops, bays 2 and 4, cusped lancets above; bay 3 has a C13 style doorway with dog tooth moulding under label, and above a 3 light C14 style traceried window under pointed arched label; coping has flats and pinnacles to kneelers, and set into gable an oval plaque reading" 1807 CongregationalUTapG: bay 5 has a triple plain lancet over an 1875 foundation stone, with pointed relieving arch and a small rectangular gable vent above; to right a doorway under stone panel proclaiming "Lecture Hall'. Interior not seen. Attached to bay 1, 2 metres from rest of front elevation, cast iron boundary railings about 1.3 metres high on low stone wall, with cast spear points, and two sets of gates to match.

Listing NGR: ST4891828496

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 48918 28496

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056651 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 06:47:53.

End of official listing