GAS LANTERN, DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND HORSE TROUGH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056685
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1985
Statutory Address:
GAS LANTERN, DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND HORSE TROUGH, BROAD STREET
Statutory Address:
GAS LANTERN, DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND HORSE TROUGH, COW SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GAS LANTERN, DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND HORSE TROUGH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056685 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-May-2019 at 15:51:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
GAS LANTERN, DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND HORSE TROUGH, BROAD STREET
Statutory Address:
GAS LANTERN, DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND HORSE TROUGH, COW SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Somerton
National Grid Reference:
ST 49099 28657

Details

ST49NW SOMERTON CP BROAD STREET (West side) 9/144 Gas lantern, drinking fountain and horse trough -

GV II

Gas lantern, drinking fountain and horse trough. 1902. Cast iron, made in Coalbrookdale for T. C. Head, Ironmonger, of Somerton. Central square plan plinth with fluted corner pilasters having Egyptian knobbed tops, flanking semi-circular arched recesses which were fitted with lion's head waterspouts, with bowl to the drinking fountain on the east face; above, female sphinx-type figurines to central post which has ladder stops and then facetted glass globe lamp, the gas fittings still being in position; on north and south faces two horse troughs (planted June 1984), with end overflow bowls for dogs. Erected to commemorate the Coronation of King Edward VII, August 9th 1902. Unusual and well-preserved piece of street furniture.

Listing NGR: ST4910028658

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262949
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].