This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1056690

Location

THE OLD HALL, COW SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Somerton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262955

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST49NW SOMERTON CP COW SQUARE (West side)

9/149 The Old Hall 17.4.59

GV II

Detached House. C18, but with earlier fragments. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Ham stone dressings; clay pantile clad Mansard roof with stone slate base courses, between coped gables; brick end chimney stacks. Double roof plan; 2 storeys with attics, 5 bays. Sash windows of 12 panes set flush with wall, the lower windows under a continuous string course, the upper windows having timber lintels; two pitched roof dormer windows with initials LOE/LOA in pediments; projecting stone open porch with solid sides, having Ionic columns carrying full entablature, framing a tall door of 6-panels with 'Y'-traceried toplight set in architraved surround. On south side a projecting attic oriel window, with gabletted finial and weathervane. Interior not seen. Known as the Old Hall since at least 1661, it may well stand on the site of the former Hall of Pleas, Somerton having been the County Town of Somerset between 1278 and 1366. (VCH, Volume III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4907328658

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

National Grid Reference: ST 49073 28658

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056690 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 10:54:28.

End of official listing