WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL, AND BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS 4 METRES EAST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056711
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL, AND BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS 4 METRES EAST, QUEEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL, AND BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS 4 METRES EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 07:52:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL, AND BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS 4 METRES EAST, QUEEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Keinton Mandeville
National Grid Reference:
ST 54889 30793

Details

ST53SW KEINTON MANDEVILLE CP QUEEN STREET (West side)

2/101 Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, and boundary wall and railings 4 metres east 17/4/59

GV II

Methodist Chapel. Dated 1843. Local stone cut and squared; Welsh slate roof half hipped at west end, with marked overhang to east gable; central metal ventilator on ridge. 2 storey, part being undercroft; 3 bays. Front elevation has plain gable with pointed archway containing double doors, and above a stone plaque is incised "Wesleyan Chapel 1843" : above this a small trefoil vent. The south elevation has 12-pane sash windows, with door at east end, set into plinth; above are three pointed arched windows with timber Y-traceried frames, leaded; C20 extension up to plinth level on west end. The front boundary mostly of squared local stone with shaped coping, with small stone piers having pyramidal caps, but in centre are wrought iron railings with thick square bars, collared with twist-tongue tops, with urn finials to braced standards; central double gates to match, with simple overthrow over to carry lamp; also matching gate in south east corner. Interior of chapel not seen, but gallery evident at east end over entrance.

Listing NGR: ST5488930793

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262906
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11882/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].