THE OLD COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1056733
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
THE OLD COTTAGE, WEST CHARLTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 10:38:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD COTTAGE, WEST CHARLTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Charlton Mackrell
National Grid Reference:
ST 52519 28309

Details

ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP WEST CHARLTON (south side) 5/52 The Old Cottage 17.4.59

GV II*

Pair of cottages. C16 and later. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Ham stone dressings; clay pantiles to north, plain clay tiles over stone slate base courses to south, between coped gables; brick and stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 4 bays. north elevation has to lower bays 1 and 2 hollow chamfer mullioned windows of 4 and 2 four centre arched-lights with incised spandrels, set in recesses; in upper-bay 2 a wave-mould mullioned window adapted to take C19 wood casements to match remainder of elevation. On south elevation further 3-light mullioned window-bay 4, and to-bay 3 projecting stairwell, otherwise C19 and C20 casement windows, and doors under open tiled porches. Interiors contain much of interest: the east cottage has deep moulded ceiling beams forming 3 bays x 3 bays, with some moulded boarded partitions and early doors; timber cambered-arched beam to fireplace in east wall flanked by unusual C16-panelling with poppyhead finials to door jambs; cambered arched doorway to circular elm staircase; in attic above more C16/C17 boarded partitions and doors. west cottge has circular stone staircase in south east corner, adjoining a low cambered-arched timber beam fireplace; chamfered crossbeams and traces of a jointed cruck truss carried to ground. Believed to be the Chantry House mentioned in 1588, and dating from earlier that century in part; the Chantry itself was disolved in 1548. (Victoria County History, Volume III, 1974; Hamilton and Long, Some Account of the Parishes of Charlton Adam and Charlton Mackrell, 1961).

Listing NGR: ST5251928309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262857
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hamilton, , Long, , Some Account of the Parishes of Charlton Adam and Charlton Mackrell, (1961)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].