Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056761

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Statutory Address: CARY FITZPAINE


Ordnance survey map of CARY FITZPAINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Mar-2019 at 01:24:03.


Statutory Address: CARY FITZPAINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Charlton Mackrell

National Grid Reference: ST 54851 27110




Farmhouse. Rebuilt c1830, but with C17 fragments. Local lias stone cut and squared; hipped Welsh slate roof; ashlar stone chimney stacks. Villa style. 2 storeys, 3 bays x 3 bays, with extensions westwards. east elevation has 16-pane sash windows to upper outer bays, with semi-circular arched widows between; below French doors to outer bays, with central 6 flush panel door in heavy frame; stone lintols with false keystone to all openings, with curved dressing and true keystone to upper centre window; across whole of lower elevation hipped glass roofed verandah carried on cast iron openwork columns of a Regency pattern. south side has 6-pane sash windows, and north side has two upper horizontal sliding sashes. Interior has simple Regency style staircase, door etc, little altered: extension to rear. The westwards extension has detail similar to the 1789 barns (qv), but at west end are two hollow chamfered mullioned windows, possibly C17. Cary Fitzpaine was an ancient manor of some consequence with its own chapel: it was probably rebuilt by the Revd. Henry Shute, who owned it from 1824 to 1841. (Victoria County History, Volume III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST5485127110


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262826

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

End of official listing