MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1056828

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, CHURCH GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056828 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 11:55:04.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, CHURCH GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Marston Magna

National Grid Reference: ST 59303 22306

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST5922 MARSTON MAGNA CP CHURCH GREEN

9/65 Manor House 19.4.61

- II*

Manor House. Dated 1613. Local stone roughly squared and coursed, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiles over 2 base courses stone slates between coped gables; central and end stone chimney stacks - former extended in brick. 2-storeys, 6-bays: sizeable through- passage house with possibly a solar at East end. Cambered arched doorway almost central in bay 3 having moulded jamb; left two 5-light ovolo mould mullioned windows with rectangular leaded panes sharing label mould with doorway; to right small 2-light then two 5-light mullioned windows all under the same label mould; on first floor; left three 4-light mullioned windows under common label; right small 2-light and two 4-lights again sharing a label. Small roofed 2-storey extension on East side, possibly a garderobe; to rear of East room full height extension suggesting former solar, set in wall here a sundial with motto "As shadows so man's life doth go" and date 1613. Also rear C20 extension. Internally the ceiling beams have scroll-stop chamfers except in the East room, where they are more rudimentary. 2 Tudor-arched wood doorways and one door survive; otherwise the internal fittings such as staircase and doorways mainly of C18: plain layout little altered, except for staircase position: site of former winding stair identifiable adjacent to central fireplaces: all fireplaces C20 early replacements. Despite its C18 remodelling a very good survival.

Listing NGR: ST5930322306

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262680

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing