Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056833.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Dec-2020 at 02:22:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
Chilton Cantelo
National Grid Reference:
ST 56115 21473




- II*

Manor House. C15 onwards. Ham stone ashlar; stone slated roof hipped at the East end, with West and North gables coped; stone chimney stacks with moulded caps. "L" plan: 2-storeys with attic: South elevation of 3-bays. Central modern door in heavy frame, with slightly projecting flat roofed porch with a keystoned 4-centre arch of very rural detail; to left angled bay window of 6-lights width having hollow chamfered mullions, and transomes to ground floor only, single light to first floor only; obelisk pinnacled gable on corbelled kneelers with further 3-light mullion attic window with label: to right 3-light matching mullioned windows without labels: small 2-light windows over doorway with wrought iron casement stay: to the South-west corner a buttress with string course and featuring stone wyvern carving, for St. Barbe. West elevation of 5-bays; bay one having small staircase projection with small windows; bays 2, 3 and 4 having a variety of hollow chamfered mullioned windows; bay 5 gabled and somewhat altered, with C16 and later windows: several lean-to additions on East side including one of C20 in brick; prominent stepped chimney stacks of C17. Interior considerably altered but contains much of interest, including five C17 fireplaces, one with sword decoration in the spandrils to the cambered arch; a variety of doors and doorcases from arched C15 2-, 4-, and 6-panel doors of C17 and C18; two staircases, one stone C17, another probably C18, also in one bedroom a portion of wall painting featuring an angel: Some internal ferramenta to the West windows indentical to that of Church of St Vincent, Ashington (qv). The house originally twice its present size; the South front being halved, with the doorway relocated, after 1820: some Quatrefoil panels from the former central projecting porch now set into the walls of the closeby outbuilding now called "Magnolia Cottage", not included, immediately North-east of the house property. The West facade was similarly shortened. Of pre-Conquest origins, it was in the overlordship of Blastonbury Abbey; families associated with it include de Curcelle, and from 1390 to 1901 the St. Barbes, becoming St. Barbe Sy4enha. from 1722, in 1940 it passed to the Church Commisioners. (Francis Goulding, Ashington, Chilton Cantelo, Mudford - the Story of Three Somerset Parishes, 1982; VA6 report, unpublished SRD, 1976; illustrated in pre-1820 in "Gentlemen's Magazine', 1887).

Listing NGR: ST5611321475


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Goulding, F, Ashington Chilton Cantelo Mudford The Story of Three Somerset Parishes, (1982)
'Gentlemens Magazine' in Gentlemens Magazine, (1887)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in September, (1976)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/08009/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek C. J. Garrett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].