Clapton Mill (Lockyer and Son), with aqueduct to north east

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1056856
Date first listed:
18-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
Clapton Mill (Lockyer and Son), with aqueduct to north east, Clapton Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Clapton Mill (Lockyer and Son), with aqueduct to north east
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056856 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 04:10:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
Clapton Mill (Lockyer and Son), with aqueduct to north east, Clapton Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
West Crewkerne
National Grid Reference:
ST 41371 06378

Details

ST40NW 5/214

WEST CREWKERNE CP CLAPTON CLAPTON ROAD (east side) Clapton Mill (Lockyer and Son), with aqueduct to north east

GV II* Water driven flour mill. Rebuilt 1864, on site of C12 mill. Local stone cut and squared, Ham stone ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with plain bargeboarded gables.

Three storeys with attic, the main block of four bays. Chamfer-mullioned windows without labels, all three-light, with cast iron casements having rectangular panes. Metal plate reinforcements at beam ends showing externally. To lower bay one a boarded door in moulded flat-arched surround, and to bay two plain doorways to first and second floors. Above doorways is a projecting timber-framed, corrugated iron clad, sack hoist, on timber brackets resting on stone corbels, with pitched, gabled roof, simple window and trap doors.

Against the south gable a small single-storey building having segmental-arched openings to two casement windows, brick south gable; this is the diesel engine house, presumably of 1931, the date of the Ruston and Hornsby engine still used to boost the water-wheel drive when necessary. Behind are the two apertures of the wheelhouse, a small segmental-arched opening, and the larger three-centred arch over the millstream itself, which runs the length of the building at the rear: a two-light window set high in the mail south gable, and two others below. Against north gable two lean-to buildings, the smaller against the larger.

The rear, east elevation in brick. Attached to the north-east corner the launder, or aqueduct carrying the upper stream of steel plate conduit on brick piers, 20-30 metres length. The wheel in cast iron, of 6.4 metres diameter and about 3 metres across, Dorset made but repaired by a Martock firm; is both overshot and breastshot: the machinery it drives is essentially that installed in 1864, with appropriate renewals, and uses Derbyshire and French millstones. The internal structure essentially timber, with cast iron columns. Original ladder stairs, with ten bin stores in attic.

The Lockyer family moved in as tenant millers in 1870,and bought the mill in 1901 as it is still run only by a Lockyer father and son (July 1986), it has not been necessary to implement changes to meet with current "Health and Safety at Work" legislation. The mill would probably not survive such alterations, or at least retain its current interest and importance.

Graded at II* for surviving machinery.

Listing NGR: ST4137106378

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262461
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Buchanan, C A, Buchanan, R A, Batsford Guide to Industrial Archaeology Central Southern England, (1980)
Lockyer and Son, , Guide to Clapton Mill, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11229/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jason Brister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].