This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL COTTAGE AND MILLER'S COTTAGE, COURT MILL, AND FRONT BOUNDARY WALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL COTTAGE AND MILLER'S COTTAGE, COURT MILL, AND FRONT BOUNDARY WALL

List entry Number: 1056861

Location

CHAPEL COTTAGE AND MILLER'S COTTAGE, COURT MILL, AND FRONT BOUNDARY WALL, LOWER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Merriott

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262383

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4412 MERRIOTT CP LOWER STREET (South side, off)

9/133 Chapel Cottage and Miller's Cottage, Court Mill, with front boundary wall 4.2.58

GV II

Pair of cottages, formerly one house. Late C17/early C18, modified in C19. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables; brick and chimney stacks. Two storeys, 3 bays. To ground floor, under a continuous string, bay 1 has a 4-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window in chamfered recess, one light rectangular-leaded, and a 4-light sash window in bay 3. To first floor, 3-light horizontal-bar casement windows with timber lintols. To lower bay 2 a flat-arched doorway, C20 part-glazed door. Against north-west gable a single-storey. extension with hipped plain clay tiled roof: high wing wall abutting south-east gable with return to front boundary wall. Interior not seen. About 6 metres south-west of house the boundary walling, in near-ashlar, about 1.25m high, having a thin angled coping: opposite the doorway a pair of wrought-iron gates with arrowhead and scroll decoration, probably C19. The millers house of Court Mill (qv), first recorded in 1573, but which ceased to grind in the 1930s. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p59).

Listing NGR: ST4441112188

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978)

National Grid Reference: ST 44411 12188

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056861 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 07:54:16.

End of official listing