This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1056863



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Merriott

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262386

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



9/136 No 30 and Manor Cottage (formerly listed as Manor Farm House) 4.2.53


Former farmhouse, now divided into two houses. Dated 1663; modified in C19, Has stone cut and squared; ashlar dressings; thatched roof between coped gables; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 4 bays. 0volo-mould mullioned windows: to bay 2 in a 1+3+1 light two-storey angled bay with gable over on shaped kneelers between ground floor bays 3/4 a 4-light in chamfered recess with separate label; a former 3-light with label now adapted for C20 door and sidelight, up 3 steps. T first floor bays 3 and 4 are 3-light horizontal-bar casements, in walling evidently raised. To lower bay 3 a plain chamfered recess with lintol inscribed 'IKT/1663' in incised rectangle, with C19 door up 3 steps. Signs of blocked window east of bay 4. East gable has 3-light mullioned window in wave-mould recess, under label, to first floor; and west gable a 2-light under a hoodmould to lower level. Rear elevation has C19 casement windows, and two extensions, one under thatched roof and one with concrete double pantiles. Interior not seen, but plan said to be of cross-passage with parlour to one side, and dairy entered through the hall, which includes the bay window (Barley M.W, The English Farmhouse & Cottage, 1961, p217; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, November 1972).

Listing NGR: ST4462712543

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Barley, M W, The English Farmhouse and Cottage, (1961), 217
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in November, (1972)

National Grid Reference: ST 44627 12543


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056863 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 04:16:31.

End of official listing