CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1056883

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056883 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 09:20:07.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Kingsbury Episcopi

National Grid Reference: ST 43172 18665

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST41NW KINGSBURY EPISCOPI CP CHURCH LANE (East side) EAST LAMBROOK

6/116 Church of St. James

17.4.59

GV lI+

Anglican church: C12, C13, C15, C18; C19 restoration. Coursed and squared rubble, slate roofs, stone tiles to eaves, coped verges, finials, C19 double-gabled bell-turret. Nave, chancel, small west porch. Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles. Three bay nave, to south a cusped 2-light square-head window with a label, a hollow-moulded mullioned and transomed window, and a small opening set under the eaves, also square-headed. Evidence of a blocked former south doorway. On north side a chamfered 3-light mullioned window; doorway to a west gallery set high up, plank door, reached by flight of 11 external stone steps, simple wrought-iron handrail. West end with a single and a 2-light window, simple style, Small but elaborate C19 ashlar porch, diagonal buttresses, pedimented gable, chamfered 3-centred arch inner doorway. Small low single-bay chancel, 2-light square-headed windows to north and south with cusping. Three-light east window of c1300 with cusping, intersecting tracery. Interior in simple style, plastered with flagstone floors, Chancel arch of c1190 on scallop corbels. Piscina with ogee head, probably C14. East window with a rere-arch. Two unusual wooden corbels projecting from wall halfway along north and south sides of nave, carved as grotesque heads. Octagonal Perpendicular-type font, probably recut. Pulpit made up of reused Jacobean panels. Very fine C18 west gallery on cast-iron columns, moulded cornice, central baluster panel. Late C18/early C19 box pews. Large C18 painting of Royal Arms. C18 charity plaque in chancel. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, I958).

Listing NGR: ST4317218665

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 264371

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

End of official listing