Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056885.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2020 at 14:46:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
Kingsbury Episcopi
National Grid Reference:



8/113 Church of St. Martin



Anglican parish church. C14, C15, C19 restoration. Coursed and squared lias and Hamstone, tile and lead-sheeting roofs, coped verges, chancel with a cruciform finial. Nave, north and south aisles, chancel, north and south chancel chapels, east vestry projects, west tower. Predominantly Perpendicular. Very elaborate lofty 3-stage tower, embattled pierced parapet, corner pinnacles with secondary pinnacles and intermediate pinnacles, quatrefoil band below the parapet, set-back buttresses which terminate at the second stage with shafts with pinnacles which ascend to the third stage, gargoyles; further quatrefoil bands at plinth level, and halfway up the first stage; paired 2-light bell-chamber windows with Somerset tracery, quatrefoil grilles, transoms, flanking shafts with pinnacles, clock on 2 faces. Ringing-chamber stage with a large transomed window with quatrefoil grilles, Somerset tracery, flanking crocketed niches with figures, one missing, some slighted; bottom stage again with niches for figures, 2 headless to west flanking doorway; pair of modern figures to south, a war memorial, also 4 achievements in relief; transomed 5-light west window, emphasised door opening, foliate spandrels, paired ribbed and studded doors; topping polygonal stair-turret to the north. Four bay aisles, 3-light traceried Perpendicular windows, labels, buttresses, tomb recess to the south-west corner, north and south doorways, rood-turret to the north with battlements. South aisle embattled, large gargoyles, 2-storayed porch, floor to upper room now removed, buttresses, small 2-light front-facing window, stair-turret, embattled parapet with a central figure of the crucifixion and a finial, simple double-chamfered outer door opening, pair fine C18 wooden dog gates with wrought-iron cresting, inside benched on flag-stone floors, C19 roof, moulded inner door opening with carved heads as label stops, early ribbed and studded door; above a cusped niche. South chapel a continuation of the south aisle, embattled, gargoyles, a 3 and a 4-light window. Very fine north chapel of a single bay, 4 and 5-light mullioned and transomed window with good tracery. Very large 5-light transomed window with tracery to the north and south sides of the chancel, further 5-light east window, pierced parapet, gargoyles. Single-storeyed east vestry, pierced parapet, gargoyles, a 2- and a 4-light window. Interior plastered on flagstone floors. Roofs all C19; wagon to nave with carved banding, rests on medieval angel corbels; lean-to's to the aisles with ribbing; lean-to roof to south chancel chapel on medieval angel corbels; tie-beam roof to north chapel, though may incorporate medieval work. Elaborate fan-vault under tower. Panelled tower arch with east buttresses right inside the nave that must have been decided on for reasons of structural security, decorated with 2 tiers of niches and a second panelled arch is struck from one to the other. C14 aisle arcades of 4 bays, octagonal piers, moulded caps. Late Perpendicular lofty and slender chancel arch, foliate banding to the caps. In conforming style the paired arches to the chancel chapels, 4-centred arch heads. Panelled arch between aisle and north chapel. Arch between aisle and south chapel supported on 2 angel busts. Very fine C15 rood screen of 5 bays, restored 1955, tall 4-light sections, the middle mullion reaching up into the apex, each 4-light arch has 2 sub-arches, 2 leaf friezes to the cornice. Re-cut octagonal C14 font, large late C19 tester. Piscina to north chapel. Altar table dated 1728. Chest dated Ills. Jacobean coffin stool. Much mid C19 work including pews, box pews, pulpit, choir stalls, altar rails and altar table. Painted decoration to east end. Two C18 and 2 C19 wall monuments. Fragments of C15 stained glass to top lights of chapel and chancel windows. Mid C19 glass to east window. North aisle window dated 1915 with a figure of St Martin, other windows with plain leaded lights. C19 wheeled bier. Early C20 organ. Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4364621092

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09768/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Cook. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].