CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1056904
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056904 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 21:46:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Barrington
National Grid Reference:
ST 38908 18118

Details

ST3818 BARRINGTON CP BARRINGTON VILLAGE

9/157 Church of St. Mary the Virgin

17.4.59

GV I

Anglican parish church, C13, C15, C19 restoration. Rubble and ashlar; lead-sheeting, tile, and asbestos tile roofs, coped verges, finials. Nave, chancel, crossing tower, S. aisle, N. porch, N. and S. transepts. Decorated and Perpendicular styles. Three bay nave, 3-light traceried Perpendicular windows, moulded W doorway with a 4-centred arch head, ribbed and studded door, parapet with coping, gargoyles, rood-stair turret to S, lancet window, doorway with carved beads as stops. Ornamented gabled S. porch, external stoup, richly moulded outer door opening, crocketed ogee canopy with central figure, above shafts of former pinnacles; benched inside on flagstone floor, moulded inner door opening, early studded plank door with simple strap hinges. Two stage embattled octagonal tower, gargoyles, 2-light bell-chamber windows, louvres, lancet-windows at the ringing-chamber stage, small stair turret. Two-bayed S. aisle, rebuilt 1860, 2-light windows. C13 transepts, short, with good 3-light traceried windows to the N. and the S. Two bay chancel, square-headed 2-light windows to the N. and the S, 3-light pointed arch traceried E. window. Interior plastered on flagstone floors. Nave with a C19 tie-beam roof on corbels which may be medieval; lean-to C19 roof to the S. aisle; C19 wagon roofs to the transepts; C17 unceiled wagon roof to chancel. Squat C13 double-chamfered arches under tower, no capitals or imposts. Two bay arcade to S. aisle, piers of 4-hollows section. S. transept with a very fine C13 canopied piscina, N. transept with a simpler piscina. Pair of hagioscopes. Further piscina in the chancel. Pair of foiled niches flanking the altar. Nave and transept windows with shafted rere-arches. Octagonal Perpendicular style font, though probably a C19 copy. Four C18 and 4 C19 wall monuments. Brass plaque under tower with details of vault of 1815. C17 tablet to the floor. C19 panelled pulpit, though may incorporate earlier fragments. Pair of Jacobean coffin stools. Four stained glass windows to chancel by Kempe, c1897. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST3890618116

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264319
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11357/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].