This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BARN AND OTHER OUTBUILDINGS ABOUT 60 METRES SOUTH EAST OF WIGBOROUGH MANOR HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARN AND OTHER OUTBUILDINGS ABOUT 60 METRES SOUTH EAST OF WIGBOROUGH MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1056930

Location

BARN AND OTHER OUTBUILDINGS ABOUT 60 METRES SOUTH EAST OF WIGBOROUGH MANOR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: South Petherton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Feb-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264280

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH PETHERTON CP ST41NW WIGBOROUGH 2/195 Barn and other outbuildings about 60 metres south-east of Wigborough Manor House (formerly listed as Barn 40yds. S.S.E. of Wigborough Manor House) 19.4.61

GV II

Barns, stables, granary with cellar. C18, part dated 1765. Ham stone, mostly cut and squared with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs with coped gables, of which the south gable has a ball finial, and the west gable of the centre block has a lion finial, set over a datestone inscribed 'H/RJ/1765' (for Robert Hilliard, who purchased the manor in 1762). 'Z'-plan. The southwards range has stables with a loft over to most of it, with a throughway at the southend: the central east-west crosswing has a granary at the west end, with a loft doorway in the west gable approached by a stone staircase, over which is a small 2-light mullioned window with hoodmould; the north side of this block has a collar truss roof, with in the north wall a segmental-arched opening, a central doorway, a blocked doorway and a 2-light beaded mullioned window in architrave with vertical iron bars and shutters, followed by a plain chamfered doorway: northwards range to match, with weathervane on north gable, loft here now removed: in east wall three 2-light casement windows with shutters, also a slit vent: in the angle between the northwards and eastward wing a horse engine house or wring house. (SSAVBRG Report, unpublished SRO, January 1985).

Listing NGR: ST4486515136

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Somerset and South Avon Vernacular Building Research Group Report' in January, (1985)

National Grid Reference: ST 44865 15136

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056930 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 08:08:18.

End of official listing