WING TO BARRINGTON COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1056932
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
WING TO BARRINGTON COURT

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056932.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2020 at 09:54:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
WING TO BARRINGTON COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Barrington
National Grid Reference:
ST 39772 18259

Details

ST3918 BARRINGTON CP BARRINGTON COURT ESTATE

9/168 Wing to Barrington Court (previously listed as outbuildings immediately west of Barrington Court) 17.4.59

GV II*

Stables, now wing to Barrington Court, (qv). Dated:- "1674" in blue headers, embellished 1760, altered to form part of Barrington Court 1921-25 by Forbes and Tate for A.A. Lyle. Brick with Hamstone dressings, hipped plain tile roofs, tall grouped brick stacks to ridges. U-plan with stable-yard, now a quadrangle with a central 'fountain court'. The south-east front virtually as in 1760, 2 storeys, 3:1:3 bays, semi-circular head windows with imposts and keystones, except square head window to centre of first floor with a pediment. Door opening to each side with a triangular pediment, and twin central semi-circular head carriage openings, now glazed. West front all by Forbes and Tate, 1:3:1:3:1 bays, small square windows to first floor with architraves and triple keys, semi-circular head openings on ground floor with keys and imposts, predominantly French windows. Central 'fountain court' with pool and carved figures; mullioned and transomed windows. (Country Life, September 17, l908; November 7, 1925; March 17; 1928; September 9, 1949; July 28, 1960; VCH, vol IV, 1978; VCH, vol IV, 1978).

Listing NGR: ST3977218259

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264294
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978)
'Country Life' in 17 September, (1908)
'Country Life' in 28 July, (1960)
'Country Life' in 9 September, (1949)
'Country Life' in 7 November, (1925)
'Country Life' in 17 March, (1928)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].