STORE AND BARN IN GROUNDS OF BARRINGTON COURT, TO NORTH EAST OF THE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056936
Date first listed:
20-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
STORE AND BARN IN GROUNDS OF BARRINGTON COURT, TO NORTH EAST OF THE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STORE AND BARN IN GROUNDS OF BARRINGTON COURT, TO NORTH EAST OF THE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056936 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 22:37:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
STORE AND BARN IN GROUNDS OF BARRINGTON COURT, TO NORTH EAST OF THE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Barrington
National Grid Reference:
ST 39523 18311

Details

ST3918 BARRINGTON CP

BARRINGTON COURT ESTATE

9/172 Store and barn in grounds of Barrington Court, to NE of the house -

GV II

Store and barn. 1921-25 by Forbes and Tate. Coursed rubble, gabled and half-hipped roofs, single-Roman tiles, central coped verge with weathercock. Symmetrical front, roughly in the style of a medieval tithe barn, slightly projecting central porch, slightly projecting wing to each end. Single storey and attic, 1:6:1:6:1 bays; central porch with tall segmental-headed opening with a keystone, plank door on ground floor; hay-loft opening above with plank door, oval opening in a freestone surround to the gable face. Wings with door openings on ground floor, plank doors, the eaves of the half-hipped roofs projecting to ford hoods on first floor; these hoods are matched by 2 similar hipped-roofed dormers flanking central porch; on each side of porch an arcade of 6 openings, concrete piers, weather-boarded infilling, the upper portion of which is glazed. To left of frontage an heraldic stone lion-couchant on a stone pier. To right a gateway flanked by similar stone lions. (Country Life, 8 September, 1928).

Listing NGR: ST3952318311

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264302
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 8 September, (1928)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15634/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].