SOCKET STONE OF WAYSIDE CROSS AT NGR ST 4352 1505 (SOUTH WEST CORNER OF ROAD JUNCTION)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056945
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
SOCKET STONE OF WAYSIDE CROSS AT NGR ST 4352 1505 (SOUTH WEST CORNER OF ROAD JUNCTION)

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOCKET STONE OF WAYSIDE CROSS AT NGR ST 4352 1505 (SOUTH WEST CORNER OF ROAD JUNCTION)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056945 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 12:59:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOCKET STONE OF WAYSIDE CROSS AT NGR ST 4352 1505 (SOUTH WEST CORNER OF ROAD JUNCTION)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
South Petherton
National Grid Reference:
ST4352515056

Details

SOUTH PETHERTON CP ST41NW OVER STRATTON 2/135 Socket stone of wayside cross at NGR ST 4352 1505 (south-west corner of road junction)

II

Socket stone of wayside cross. Medieval, possibly C14. Ham stone. Stone size 600mm x 600mm x 420mm high, with traces of chamfered plinth, and socket in top with mortice 330mm square and 150mm deep, top corners broached: the whole deeply embedded in the roadside verge, base not visible. This may be the base of one of the medieval crosses erected to define the boundaries of Yeabridge and Watergrove parishes.

Listing NGR: ST4352515056

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264220
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14444/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].