THE BREWERS' ARMS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056953

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: THE BREWERS' ARMS, ST JAMES'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BREWERS' ARMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056953 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 10:03:06.

Location

Statutory Address: THE BREWERS' ARMS, ST JAMES'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: South Petherton

National Grid Reference: ST 43268 16911

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH PETHERTON CP ST JAMES'S STREET (East side) ST4316 7/154 The Brewers' Arms (formerly listed as Bell Inn) 19.4.61

GV II

Inn. Dated 1622, but largely rebuilt in 1925. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings; diamond asbestos-cement slates between stepped coped gables; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 4 bays, of which bay 4 is a later addition in ashlar. Plinth; ovolo-mould mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses, 3- light to upper bays 1 and 3, partly set into small coped gables each having a rectangular date plaque, and 4-light to lower bays 1 and 3, all with 1abels: 2-light to bay 2, of which the lower has a label: to right of bay a cambered- arched dooray under deep lintel without label, up 3 steps; bay 4 has wide elliptical arch with imposts and keystone, over which is a 3-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window in chamfered recess without label: between upper bays 2/3 a projecting hanging sign. Interior not seen. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4326816911

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 264239

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

End of official listing