SEAVINGTON HOUSE, AND FRONT BOUNDARY WALLING AND RAILING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056963

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: SEAVINGTON HOUSE, AND FRONT BOUNDARY WALLING AND RAILING, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SEAVINGTON HOUSE, AND FRONT BOUNDARY WALLING AND RAILING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056963 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 16:37:15.

Location

Statutory Address: SEAVINGTON HOUSE, AND FRONT BOUNDARY WALLING AND RAILING, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Seavington St. Michael

National Grid Reference: ST 41030 15196

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SEAVINGTON ST MICHAEL CP CHURCH LANE (East side) ST41NW 2/86 Seavington House, and front boundary walling and railings 4.2.58

GV II

Detached house. Early C19, before 1839. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roof between coped gables; brick end chimney stacks. Three storeys, 3 bays. Plinth, eaves cornice with secret gutter, plain end pilasters; 16-pane sash windows in plain openings, in diminishing sizes: to lower bay 2 a 6-panel Regency style door, up 3 steps, with open stone porch having Tuscan columns on panelled plinths, no wall pilasters, plain entablature with flat roof. Against south gable a single-storey extension with swept coping to roof, having a plain pilaster and matching 16-pane sash window: a matching north wing demolished in 1960s/1970s for road widening. Interior not seen. Extending in a curve from north-west corner a mid C20 reconstructed stone wall, as far as the gateway opposite the porch; thereafter a low stone wall with wrought- iron spearpoint railings having arch-braced uncapped standards, matched by the gates, curving round to a moulded coped ashlar wall about 1.2 metres high which returns to the south-west corner of the extension: the railings and south walling adding considerably to the setting of the house and of the streetscape generally. By 1839 this house was at the centre of the largest farm in the parish. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4103015196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 264166

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

End of official listing