This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

JOYLERS MILL AND MILL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: JOYLERS MILL AND MILL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1056978

Location

JOYLERS MILL AND MILL HOUSE, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: South Petherton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264203

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH PETHERTON CP MILL LANE (East side) ST41NW 2/119 Joylers Mill and Mill House

II

Mill and mill house. Mill recorded by 1313; present mill early C19, house late C19. Mill in Ham stone roughly cut and squared, ashlar dressings; clay pantiled roof over stone slate base courses between stepped coped gables. Three storeys with attic; 4 bays irregular fenestration. Chamfer-mullioned windows of 2 lights without labels, to bay 2 second floor, bays 1 and 3 first floor and 1, 2 and 3 ground floor: double doors in plain chamfered opening with heavy lintel between bay 1/2, and also pair to bay 2 first floor: to bay 4 a projecting timber and corrugated iron structure 2 storeys higher with cantilevered top, protecting a drive shaft, and to left a semi-circular arched doorway into waterwheel well: wheel and much machinery still in position. Attached to east gable a later single-storey building to match, and to west a 2-storey link to house, with double Roman clay tiled roof and doors at both levels, the lower segmental-arched. The house has stone plinth, red brick in stretcher bond with yellow brick window arches and upper band course, overhung gabled Welsh slate roof, brick chimney stacks: 2 storeys, 3 bays: casement windows with segmental arched heads; doorway in lower bay 2 to match, verandah along front. Interiors not seen. The mill wheel undershot, and assisted by a small turbine: the leat now filled in: milling ceased about 1930 (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4430217596

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

National Grid Reference: ST 44302 17596

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056978 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 05:29:08.

End of official listing