GROUP OF 3 MONUMENTS IN CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 4 METRES SOUTH OF TOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056985
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 3 MONUMENTS IN CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 4 METRES SOUTH OF TOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST AND ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 3 MONUMENTS IN CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 4 METRES SOUTH OF TOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056985 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 01:15:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 3 MONUMENTS IN CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 4 METRES SOUTH OF TOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST AND ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Kingstone
National Grid Reference:
ST 37882 13629

Details

ST31SE KINGSTONE CP KINGSTONE VILLAGE

4/33 Group of 3 monuments in churchyard, about 4 metres south of tower, Church of St. John the Evangelist and All Saints

GV II

Group of 3 monuments; an early C19 chest tomb and 2 C18 headstones: (a) Chest tomb 4 metres south of tower: Early C19. Ham stone. Base buried; one fielded panel each face, with 3-panel pilasters to flanks, no frieze moulded coving to shallow hipped top. Commemorates Jane D----- died 18-1. (b) Headstone one metre north of north east corner of chest tomb: Later C18. Ham stone, size 1000mm wide x 1200mm high x l10mm thick, chamfered back; shaped top framing 2 angels, with hourglass between and scrolls to sides, carved frame with tasselled cord centre drop. Commemorates Mary Paull, died 1779 and Ann Paull, died 1780. (c) Headstone 1.5 metres south of stair turret: C18. Lias stone: plain slab with incised semi-circular arched panel, of unusual type, probably early. Inscription unreadable.

Listing NGR: ST3788213629

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264117
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10853/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].