Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056994.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2021 at 15:00:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 42714 14498


LOPEN CP CHURCH STREET (South side) ST4214 8/54 Church of All Saints 4.2.58


Anglican parish church. C12 or C13 origins. Mostly C14 and C15; north transept added 1833, remainder substantially rebuilt between 1874 and 1886. Ham stone, mostly cut and squared but with some coursed rubble, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs with stone slate base courses between coped gables. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north transept, with south porch and western bell turret. Chancel has chamfered plinth, angled corner buttresses; 2-light east window of c1300, without label; 2 lancets on south side and one on north, with slight projection in north-west corner for rood stair having small rectangular light. Nave has offset corner buttresses, one early C19 3-light 'Y' traceried window each side, under curlstop labels; south side also has small pointed-segmental-arched lancet to west of porch; west wall has a mid-C19 2-light traceried window without label, with short buttress under, above which is a simple C19 bell turret with 2 small bells. South porch plain, no buttress, simple chamfered outer arch with early C19 timber gate topped with spikes, very simple pointed inner arch; stone bench seats, and in east wall the headstone of a C12 window with incised radial lines. North transept has 3-light 'Y'-traceried windows to match nave, one in each wall with pointed-arched doorway under curl-stop label in north gable, and on west side a former gallery doorway set tight under eaves, with flight of 10 stone steps having wrought iron handrail. Interior has work of all periods; chancel has segmental-arched ribbed vaulted ceiling of C17 or C18; two blanked-off statue niches with plain 4-centre-arched heads in east wall; doorway to former rood loft stair in north wall, and plain chamfered almost triangular chancel arch. Nave has segmental barrel-vault ceiling without ribs, and walls unplastered below cill level; late C18/early C19 gallery at west end, carrying organ installed after 1945. North transept has full-width quasi-4-centred arch, and barrel vault ceiling without ribs of same profile; the gallery removed in l958. Fittings include C18 communion rail and two C17 chancel chairs; plain octagonal font on octagonal base, possibly C13, and a chancel screen of 1957 by A.F. Erridge. Memorials include an incised and painted lias stone slab to George Sampson, died 1724, set behind pulpit, and 2 early C19 memorials to members of the Templeman family. Chancel windows of 1868 and 1897, the latter of good quality. (VCH, Vol III, l974; Hopper S, Lopen and its Church, Petherton Press, 1975).

Listing NGR: ST4271414498


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Hopper, S, Lopen and its Church, (1975)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10386/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].