THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057000

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, UPTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057000 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 04:34:24.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, UPTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Seavington St. Mary

National Grid Reference: ST 40678 15288

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SEAVINGTON ST MARY CP UPTON LANE (West side) ST41NW SEAVINGTON ABBOTS 2/75 The Old Rectory (formerly listed as the Rectory) 4.2.58

GV II

Detached house, formerly the Rectory. C17 origins, remodelled in C18. Ham stone ashlar and near-ashlar; hipped Welsh slate roof; rendered chimney sticks. Two storeys with attics, 5 x 5 bays. Plinth, eaves cornice with secret gutter; 12-pane sash windows in architraves, some with thick glazing bars; lower windows have hoods over, and the upper centre has an eared architrave and console bracket to cill; to lower centre bay a 6-panel door up 2 steps; with flanking Doric pilasters, full entablature and pediment hood. South elevation of 5 bays to match, but the central doorway has a moulded recess and flat hood on console brackets, above which is a semi-circular arched 24-pane sash window with 'Y' tracery to head, the architrave having imposts and keystone; roof has 4 C20 flat-roofed dormer windows. North side has two 5-light ovolo-mould mullioned windows with labels, the lower having one light blocked off, and also 2 small-pane casements: range of single-storey buildings attached to rear. Interior not seen, but reported is the demolition of a service wing in 1954, and also that all the original ceilings and fireplaces have been removed. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4067815288

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 264159

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

End of official listing