CHURCHYARD CROSS, ABOUT 5 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE, CHURCH OF ST ALDHELM AND ST EADBURGHA

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1057005

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCHYARD CROSS, ABOUT 5 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE, CHURCH OF ST ALDHELM AND ST EADBURGHA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCHYARD CROSS, ABOUT 5 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE, CHURCH OF ST ALDHELM AND ST EADBURGHA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057005 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 07:23:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCHYARD CROSS, ABOUT 5 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE, CHURCH OF ST ALDHELM AND ST EADBURGHA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Broadway

National Grid Reference: ST 32963 15896

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST3215 BROADWAY CP BROADWAY VILLAGE

11/11 Churchyard cross, about 5m south of nave, Church of t Aldhelm and St Eadburha 4.2.58

GV II*

Churchyard cross, Late Cl3-early C14, restored late C19 and cl965. Ham stone, renewed square plinth with chamfered cornice and base, renewed square base for medieval socket broached to an octagon with square shafts at each corner, tapering octagonal shaft with moulded fillet and crocketed niche on west face containing unidentified figure standing on a bracket which forms a canopy for the figure below. The shaft is weatherworn and the other sides are plain. Pooley illustrates the cross prior to restoration and described the upper figure as a man wearing "a long full robe which reaches to the ground, but is raised to show the left foot advanced. He holds some object in each hand but of what nature can not be made out. The lower figure is clearly that of an ecclesiastic in the garb of a pilgrim, bare-headed with a short staff in his right hand, and a wallet hanging at his left side". Scheduled Ancient Monument, (Somerset County No 296]. (Pooley, Old Crosses of Somerset, 1877).

Listing NGR: ST3296015896

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 264066

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pooley, C, An Historical and Descriptive Account of the Old Stone Crosses of Somerset, (1877)

End of official listing