CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1057025
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST AND ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 12:21:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST AND ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Kingstone
National Grid Reference:
ST 37882 13637

Details

ST31SE KINGSTONE CP KINGSTONE VILLAGE

4/30 Church of St. John the Evangelist and All Saints (formerly listed as Church of All Saints)

4.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Recorded by 1291; porch and chancel C14, remainder C15. Ham stone cut and squared with ashlar dressings, tower part rendered; chancel, vestry and porch have Welsh slated roofs between stepped coped gables, nave has nearly-flat lead sheet roof behind battlemented parapets. Three-unit plan of 2-bay chancel, crossing tower without transepts, and 3-by nave, with added south porch and north-east vestry. Chancel has no plinth or buttresses; east window a C15 3-light traceried window in hollowed pointed-arched recess with plain stopped label; on south side two 2-light C14 traceried windows, possibly recut in C19, with labels, one having headstops and the other blockstops; on north side a 2-light flat-arched window with deep square label in slightly hollowed chamfered recess, and the projecting vestry with simple lancet window in north gable and pointed-arched doorway on west side. Tower of 3 stages, with tall plinth, string courses, the top with gargoyles, then battlemented parapets; full-height buttresses slightly offset from corners, with diagonal applied shaft bases for now-missing pinnacles; 3-light earlier C15 traceried windows in hollowed recesses with headstop labels to the intended transept arches; to stage 2 on north and south sides are 2-light flat-arched windows in recesses without labels, and to third stage all round are matching 2-light pointed-arched windows; the windows to stages 2 and 3 south side set in rendered panels and fitted with ornamental pierced stone frets, whereas the others have louvre baffles: on south-east corner an octagonal-plan stair turret taller than remainder of tower, crowned with flagmast. Nave has plinth, offset corner buttresses and bay buttresses to north side, with battlemented parapets over plain string course; the side windows match those to stage 1 of tower; the west window a wider 3-light window in deep recess with moulded headstop label, under which is an elaborately moulded pointed arched joorway, new blocked, with tablet-flowers to jamb mouldings, set in rectangular recess with carved spandrils, no label. Porch set in centre of south side, and has angled corner buttresses, pointed chamfered archway with stilted outer order; C19 memorials mounted outside on east and west walls. Interior not accessible, but noted were moulded, not panelled, tower arches; a C15 font, and otherwise C19 fittings; fragments of medieval glass in tracery of north windows. (VCH, Vol III, l974; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST3788213637

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264114
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10853/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].