CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1057052

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057052 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 14:31:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Ilton

National Grid Reference: ST 35189 17423

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST31NE 3/75

ILTON CP, CHURCH ROAD (East side, off), Church of St. Peter

4.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Some C12 and C13 fragments, mostly C14, restored 1860, with chancel rebuilt and north aisle chapel added by James Mountford Allen. Local stone rubble, some cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs between coped gables, with stone slate base courses to nave, sheet lead to north aisle. Five-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, south transept, 3-bay north aisle and 2-bay north aisle chapel, with south tower incorporating porch. Chancel has plinth, eaves course and angled corner buttresses; east window a C19 3-light Geometric traceried with label; side windows are 2- light reticulated tracery, one on north and two on south side with chamfered pointed-arched doorway with label between; in south west angle with transept a low octagonal-plan extension with steeply hipped lead sheet roof and cusped lancet windows, probably C19. forth aisle chapel has plinth, corner buttresses, with a late C15 style east window having headstop label; in north wall one window to match chancel side windows, possibly a re-use from there. North aisle has tall double plinth, bay buttresses and pairs of offset buttresses to north-west corner; three C15 style 2-light windows in slightly hollowed recesses in north wall and one to west. South transept has no plinth, angled corner buttresses; a 3-light C19 traceried window with label in south gable, and,2-light to match, probably C15, in east wall. Nave visible only at west end, with plinth, pair of offset corner buttresses, with one window in south wall matching those of north aisle; in west gable a tall moulded pointed-arched doorway without label, with late C19 3-light window over set in hollowed recess under headstop label. Tower may have C12 base, now rendered; 2 stages; small angled south-east corner buttress: in south face a moulded pointed-arched doorway with headstop label, and small 2-light double-cusped lancet window over, above which is a stone sundial; on west side a single cusped lancet at low level and slim lancet above; string mould divides second stage, which has a low plain parapet, and one 2-light C15 style window with stone louvres to each face. Interior not accessible, but noted or reported are rere-arches to the chancel window and elaborately cusped rere-arches in the south transept, C15 chancel and transept arches, with north arcade to match. Fittings include an ogee-arched piscina resting on a head corbel, plain C17 pulpit, font probably C19; in north aisle several glazed tiles of c1540. Memorials include the defaced alabster effigy of a lady, of c1475, and a brass to Nicholas Wadham, died 1508, with effigy in shroud, and plaque to Jane, Lady Wadham, died 1557. South west nave window has engraved glass by Lawrence Whistler. First recorded vicar 1221. An 1822 report speaks of wooden spire to tower, and, probably erroneously, of two aisles. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958; Greenwood C & J, Somerset Delineated, 1822).

Listing NGR: ST3518917423

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263975

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Greenwood, C, Greenwood, J , Somerset Delineated, (1822)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

End of official listing