Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057058

Date first listed: 28-May-1987



Ordnance survey map of BURLEAZE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057058 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2019 at 23:19:16.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Ilton

National Grid Reference: ST3570316781


ILTON CP OLD WAY (South side, off) ST31NE

3/90 Burleaze Farmhouse


- II

Detached farmhouse. C17 and later. Local stone rubble, mostly rendered, some ashlar dressings; hipped thatched roof; brick end and intermediate chimney stacks. 'T'-plan; 2 storeys, 5 bays. Above, a mixture of leaded casement windows of 3, 2, 3, 4 and 4 lights, with rectangular panes and iron-framed opening lights, that to upper bay 4 having a hollow-chamfer mullioned frame; below, similar windows bays 1 and 3, with C20 casements bays 4 and 5; to lower bay 2 an open rendered porch with double Roman clay tiled roof: an extension westwards is an unrendered farm building, with a stable door and one casement window below and a loft door above, with a further lean-to against the west gable. Long extension to rear, with corrugated iron sheet roof; rear elevation of house has similar casements, but to ground floor is one 3-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window in a chamfered recess, with label; also 2 leanto buildings, one with Welsh slate roof, the other with triple-roll clay tiles. Interior not seen, but reported are chamfered cross-beams with step and runout stops, possible old fireplaces to hall and east gable; a post and truss partition with wattle rod and daub infill, and tie-beam trusses. A lease of 1696 exists; the farm was part of the Wyndham Estate until 1919. (SSAVBRG Report, SRO unpublished, November 1984).

Listing NGR: ST3570316781


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263994

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'Somerset and South Avon Vernacular Building Research Group Report' in November, (1984)

End of official listing