This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1057129



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West and Middle Chinnock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263763

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WEST CHINNOCK CP ST41SE 3/205 Church of Saint Mary 19.4.61


Church. C13 origins, but totally rebuilt in late C19. Ham stone ashlar and dressings; Welsh slates between coped gables. 4-cell plan of chancel, (2-bays) nave and aisles (all of 3-bays), with West Tower. Tower in C13 style, remainder in C14 style. Chancel plain, with corner plinth height buttresses and corbel tables to eaves; triple lancet East window framed with attached columns and arches externally; on South side two 2-light windows with labels in C15/C16 style, to North a single lancet and a 3-light C17 style mullioned window, both with labels. North and South aisles plain, with corbel table to eaves; windows 2-light with C14 style decorated tracery; arched doorways without porches to East bay of North aisle and centre bay of South aisle. Tower in 2-stages, with round arched doorway with impost blocks in West wall, above which is a simple lancet window without label; string course on corbels, then pairs of plain lancet windows in East and West walls cutting through simple string course at base of gables; pitched roof between coped gables, with small spirelet surmounted by weathervane in centre of ridge. Internally totally C19 in character, with no apparent survivals from earlier Church except a hatchment board dated 1825. Open boarded roofs with trussed rafters; chancel arch and arcades in C13 style, fittings generally in C14 style; original and nicely detailed, all unaltered since. First recorded Rector John de Kirkeby 1293; probable date of rebuilding between 1880 and 1890, apparently after old church was burnt down.

Listing NGR: ST4673013422

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 46730 13422


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057129 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 04:23:52.

End of official listing