WESTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1057208
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Aug-1984
Statutory Address:
WESTON HOUSE, WESTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WESTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057208.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 00:52:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
WESTON HOUSE, WESTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
East Chinnock
National Grid Reference:
ST 49258 13411

Details

ST41SE EAST CHINNOCK CP WESTON STREET (West side)

3/76 Weston House (formerly listed as Weston Farm House 19.4.61

GV II*

Farmhouse. Dated 1637. Local stone rubble with Ham stone dressings; stone slate roof between coped gables; stone end and centre chimney stacks, the outer new in random stone, the centre in ashlar with moulded cap. Two-storeys with attic, 4 bays. Plinthed; ovolo mould mullioned windows, several iron bars behind glass, of 4-lights below and 3-lights above, all with labels; entrance door between bays-2 and 3 is modern boarded, but set in moulded cambered archway and protected by C19 porch. Partial C17 outshut to rear, also a projecting wing; C20 windows in West gable wall, but C17 windows to first floor and attic in East gable wall. Rear elevation has C17 porch with inscription (rearranged) R AND G ME FECIT 1637 on door lintel. Interior not seen, but reported are several C17 fireplaces, over one of which on the first floor is the inscription RICHARDUS BATT ET GRACIA UXOR EIUS HANC AEDEM STROXERUNT ANNO DNI 1637; ceiling beams with chamfers and scroll steps, and stud and panel partition to cross passage. Richard Batt was Steward to the Portman family, major landowners in the area. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, 1972.)<1

Listing NGR: ST4925813411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
263634
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in Vernacular Architecture Group Report, (1972)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11882/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].