THE ROSE TOWER, 440 METRES WEST OF BARWICK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057221

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: THE ROSE TOWER, 440 METRES WEST OF BARWICK HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ROSE TOWER, 440 METRES WEST OF BARWICK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057221 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 10:16:04.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ROSE TOWER, 440 METRES WEST OF BARWICK HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Barwick

National Grid Reference: ST 55621 14253

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST51SE BARWICK CP BARWICK PARK

5/6 The Rose Tower, 440 metres West of Barwick House (formerly listed as Obelisk in Barwick Park North of Church) 19.4.61

GV II

Folly. Circa 1775, Local stone rubble with Ham stone ashlar. Circular podium of about 4 metres diameter and 0.6 metres high, on which stands a hollow circular drum, about 4-metres high, pierced with three pointed arches with bands of rectangular openings at about 1.25 metres intervals, the top 2-metres being in fine ashlar with a ball finial, the whole being approximately 20-metres high. The West boundary marker of the Barwick Park estate, probably erected by John Newman. The most spectacular of the four follies set on the cardinal point axes through Barwick House (qv), it features in three paintings dated between 1770 and 1780. (Barbara Jones, Follies and Grottoes, Constable 1974.)

Listing NGR: ST5562114253

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263564

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jones, B, Follies and Grottoes, (1974)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

End of official listing