Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1057233

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057233 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 23:55:12.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Closworth

National Grid Reference: ST 56393 10059


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/34 Church of All Saints



Church. C13 origins with some C15 work but drastically restored in 1875. Ham stone roughly squared and coursed with ashlar dressings; plain clay tiles with bands of fish-scale tiles between coped gables, stone slab to North porch. 2-cell plan with single bay chancel and 4-bay nave, and added West tower and North porch. Chancel has indistinct plinth and angled corner buttresses with offsets; pointed arched 3-light East window with C15 tracery under arched label with head stops; 1 thin lancet window in North wall next to simple arched doorway probably of C16; C19 plate tracery window in South wall. Nave has almost full height buttresses each bay, simple plinth and eaves course: C15 style pointed arched traceried windows in deep reveals, seemingly all C19 restorations. North porch probably c1330, but restored; ribbed vault and stone slab roof, as North Chapel of Limington Church (qv), moulded pointed arched doorways, plain rectangular niche over inner door. Tower probably late C15 throughout and little altered: 4-stages marked by string courses; plinth, angle buttresses for 3-stages; plain arched small West doorway under square label, and above a 3-light traceried window cutting into second stage; partly blocked statue niche on North side with most of pointed canopy missing, better example on South side; plain second stage save for single cusped lancet under square label high on South face cutting into string course; immediately above a sculptured panel with 3 figures under square label, also at third stage on West face a canopied statue niche, and above a further carved panel with 3 figures under square label; at stage 4 pointed arched 2-light traceried window with pierced stone baffle panels all round; gargoyles to string course at corners and centres, battlemented parapet, corner C20 pinnacles only vaguely resembling originals still stored in churchyard, May 1983: square plan stair turret to North East corner changing to octagonal plan at stage 2, crowned with weathervane and cock. Little of interest internally except early C17 wood pulpit on C19 base; C17 chairs in sanctuary and chest; C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels; a C15 panelled tower arch with a C18 balcony front to the former musicians gallery, C15 door and doorway to tower stairs. A C19 photograph in the church of the North side shows major 1875 alterations to fenestration; porch and tower little changed.

Listing NGR: ST5639310059


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263592

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing