TOWER ON ST MICHAELS HILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057255

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Statutory Address: TOWER ON ST MICHAELS HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER ON ST MICHAELS HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057255 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 09:15:43.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWER ON ST MICHAELS HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Montacute

National Grid Reference: ST 49348 16977

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4614 MONTACUTE CP 8/87 Tower on St. Michaels Hill 19.4.61 - II Folly, used as signal tower. 1760. Ham stone ashlar, flat stone top. Circular on plan, about 3m diameter, and about 12m tall: chamfered flat- arched doorway on east side, and 3 slit-light windows at various levels on north-west, south and south-east sectors, illuminating the internal newel stone staircase; at the crown there is a string course, above which the walls have a marked batter into the flat top: on the east face above the string is a cantilevered platform with doorway at head of stairs, and an external stair to the flat top, without any surviving guard rails. There is a Greek inscription over the doorway and the initials 'K.P. 1760' (but Edward Phelips was the likely builder). The hill was the site of a Norman Castle, mostly demolished to build the Priory of Montacute: St. Michael's Chapel, first recorded 1102, survived at least until the mid C17; its site now occupied by the tower, which was used as a signal tower to Swayne Harbin at Newton Surmaville (using the Round House, Item 2/26 Barwick C.P., q.v) and Mr. Goodford, of Chilton Cantelo. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 101). (Nares S, Country Life, 5th September, 1952, p679).

Listing NGR: ST4934816977

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263542

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 5 September, (1952), 679

End of official listing