THE OLD VICARAGE AND ADJACENT GATEWAY AND BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057259

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE AND ADJACENT GATEWAY AND BOUNDARY WALL, 43, BISHOPSTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD VICARAGE AND ADJACENT GATEWAY AND BOUNDARY WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057259 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 15:49:38.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE AND ADJACENT GATEWAY AND BOUNDARY WALL, 43, BISHOPSTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Montacute

National Grid Reference: ST 49675 16994

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4917 MONTACUTE CP BISHOPSTON (East side) ST4916 7/100 No. 43 8/100 (The Old Vicarage), and adjacent gateway and boundary wall 9.4.61 GV II Former vicarage, now house. 1715, for Revd. John Maurice. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings; plain clay tiled roof between coped gables; brick chimney stacks. 'L' plan; 2 storeys, 5 bay south elevation, at right angles to road. Hollow-chamfered mullioned windows in chamfered recesses without labels; above all 2-light, with early iron-framed opening lights and sure curl stays; below, later windows to match - large 2-light windows between bays 1/2 and 4/5: to bay 3 a doorway with ovolo-aauld edge under curtailed hood, with 6-flush-panelled door, flanked by two C20 2-light windows. Similar older windows in west gables both with labels. Return wing at rear with C18 casement windows, also a lean-to extension. About 300mm from south-west corner of house a gateway with square stone piers ending in cornice caps with block step and ball finials; adjoining wall about 900mm high to south and 1.5m high to north, returns eastwards along Middle Street to mark south boundary, mostly in uncoursed rubble with simple ashlar copings, adding to the setting of the house and the streetscene in this corner position. Faculty granted to demolish this house in 1828, then said to be 'very dilapidated', but never executed: it ceased as a vicarage in that year. (VCH Vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4967516994

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263555

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

End of official listing