GATEPIERS AND GATE, 2 METRES WEST OF CHURCH LODGE, AND RAILINGS ABUTTING ON WEST SIDE RETURNED TO A39

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057346
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
GATEPIERS AND GATE, 2 METRES WEST OF CHURCH LODGE, AND RAILINGS ABUTTING ON WEST SIDE RETURNED TO A39

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATEPIERS AND GATE, 2 METRES WEST OF CHURCH LODGE, AND RAILINGS ABUTTING ON WEST SIDE RETURNED TO A39
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057346 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 08:44:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATEPIERS AND GATE, 2 METRES WEST OF CHURCH LODGE, AND RAILINGS ABUTTING ON WEST SIDE RETURNED TO A39

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
West Quantoxhead
National Grid Reference:
ST 11320 41941

Details

ST14SW WEST QUANTOXHEAD CP

5/217 Gatepiers and gate, 2 metres West of Church Lodge, and railings abutting on West side returned to A39 -

GV II

Gatepiers, gate and railings. 1850. Designer John Norton. Gatepiers: octagonal piers, shallow moulded pyramid caps, neck band, cavetto moulded plinth. Gate: standards of 5 bays with simple finials, horizontal bars reinforced with curved cross piece, central band of simple decoration. Railings: fleur de lys headed standards, 5 horizontal bars with chain draped above, running South East to A39, swept back by entrance to field, (4 bays damaged) and curved in semi-circle facing entrance to Church of St. Ethel Dreda (qv) with gate distinguished by trefoil headed reinforcement. About 1500 metres in all. Railings identical to those facing Church of St Ethel Dreda (qv) and St. Audries School (qv), gate and gate piers identical to those at Stowey Lodge (qv) and Williton Lodge (qv).

Listing NGR: ST1132041941

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265272
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14845/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].