FORMER ENGINE HOUSE AT ST 1752 4009

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057351
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1987
Statutory Address:
FORMER ENGINE HOUSE AT ST 1752 4009, SANDY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER ENGINE HOUSE AT ST 1752 4009
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057351 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 19:12:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER ENGINE HOUSE AT ST 1752 4009, SANDY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Holford
National Grid Reference:
ST 17543 40063

Details

ST 14 SE HOLFORD SANDY LANE (east side) 6/205 Doddington

Former engine house at ST 1752 4009

- II

Engine House. 1820. Rubblestone brought to course; roof removed. 2 stages, the upper stage recessed. Timber lintels to openings. Gable has a wide central entrance with round brick arch; above it a blocked opening to each stage. A window opening to one side wall and a window and two altered doorways to the other. The Engine House was erected in connection with a copper mine at Doddington, Holford. The steam-raising plant is thought to have been located in a less permanent lean-to structure adjoining the Engine House. In state of dereliction at time of listing.

Men and Mining on the Quantocks, John R Hamilton, 1970

Listing NGR: ST1754340063

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265282
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hamilton, R, Men and Mining on the Quantocks, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/08412/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Robins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].