CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057381

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057381 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 04:52:47.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Stringston

National Grid Reference: ST 16582 44133

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST14SE STRINGSTON CP KILTON

6/203 Church of St. Nicholas

22.5.69

II

Parish Church. C14 chancel, lower stages of tower and plan cf nave, late C15 - early C16 referestration 1861-4 lancets inserted in chancel, upper stage of tower added and Church extensively restored and partially rebuilt. Architect John Norton. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone quoins and dressings, plain tiled roof, coped verges. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, vestry, South porch, West tower. 3 stage crenellated tower with pyramid plain tile roof and gargoyles, diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell openings with Somerset tracery resting on string course, 2-light west end window, 2 stage stair turret with lean-to stone slate roof in South East corner. 3-light window left and 2-light right of gabled porch, moulded arch entrance with sundial in gable end inscribed Govett 1707. Large stepped buttress at South East corner of nave. Pair of lancets to left and one to right of priest's door, 3 lancets at East end, vestry on North front flanked by lancets. North wall of nave has lancet and two 2-light windows flanked by stepped buttresses. Interior: rendered, remains of stencilled dado, friezes and inscriptions of mid C19. C19 screen and pulpit, latter incorporating a few medieval pieces of woodwork. Fine late medieval font with remains of coloured decoration. Remain of brass to Charles Stemages and his wife Margaret Pollard. (VCH Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming).

Listing NGR: ST1658244133

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265251

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)

End of official listing