LIMEKILN COMPLEX AT NGR ST 1730 4530

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057382
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
LIMEKILN COMPLEX AT NGR ST 1730 4530

Map

Ordnance survey map of LIMEKILN COMPLEX AT NGR ST 1730 4530
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057382 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 23:17:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
LIMEKILN COMPLEX AT NGR ST 1730 4530

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Stringston
National Grid Reference:
ST 17304 45284

Details

ST14NE STRINGSTON CP LILSTOCK BEACH

1/205 Limekiln Complex at NGR ST 1730 4530 -

II

Limekiln complex. Mid C19. Blue lias random rubble, some brick infill. On seashore, retaining wall about 45 metres long set into hill side, swept up to height of about 10 metres in centre with buttressed, tunnel vaulted shed to left of blocked limekiln, unidentified recess beyond, 2 segmental headed openings to left giving access to small, rectangular tunnel vaulted rooms with remains of walls set at right angles. Approached from above by flight of steps, about 25 metres long. In poor condition at time of survey, (August 1983), and partially overgrown. This is all that remains of the port of Lilstock, developed by the Aclands in the early C19; by 1848 there were resident coastguards and by 1855 a customs officer. Traffic was in Welsh coal and pit props and pleasure steamers stopped here in the 1860's and 70's. Listed primarily for historic interest. (VCH Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming).



Listing NGR: ST1730045300

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265255
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/08913/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kevin White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].