Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057383

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057383 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Mar-2019 at 02:36:47.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Stringston

National Grid Reference: ST 17646 42402



6/196 Church of St. Mary (formerly listed as Stringston Church)



Parish Church. Some C17 work, mainly late C19 and early C20; chancel rebuilt, vestry added, church restored 1878-9, tower largely rebuilt 1912 when church again restored. Rendered over random rubble, plain tiles, decorative ridge tiles, scalloped tiles on spire. Two bay nave, chancel, vestry South chapel to St. Albyn family, South porch, West tower. Tower, 3 stage, broached spire, lancet window on each stage divided by string courses, louvred bell openings, pair of lancets West end first stage. Diagonal buttresses one stage high with larger irregular buttress at South West junction with nave. Two 2-light windows on North face, gabled South porch, arched entrance with hoodmould, piscina used as a holy water stoop, arched doorway with C19 double doors. Gabled projection of South chapel, 2-light window, hoodmould, group of head stones and memorial tablets set into external East wall of chapel and South wall of chancel with railings on two sides forming a square enclosure. Lancet on South wall of chancel, 2-light East windows, vestry projection North side. Interior: rendered. C14 chancel arch, remains of original barrel vaulted roof in nave, others late C19 - early C20. Simple early C17 bench ends, one dated 1602. Good collection of late C:7 and C18 memorials to the St. Albyn family in the South chapel, notably to John St. Albyn of Alfoxton Park (qv) died 1768, a typical design in grey and black marble by John Ford the younger of Bath. (Gunnis, R; Dictionary of british Sculptures, 1951; Kelly Directory, 1902).

Listing NGR: ST1764642402


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265256

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1902)

End of official listing