SHURTON MILLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057402
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
SHURTON MILLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHURTON MILLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057402.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 23:49:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHURTON MILLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Stogursey
National Grid Reference:
ST2063244048

Details

ST24SW 7/146

STOGURSEY CP SHURTON

Shurton Mills

II

Mill owner's house, and attached outbuildings to North, now dwelling. C17, enlarged C18. Roughcast over rubble, slate roofed block, brick stack right, slightly higher independently roofed block abutting to south, pantiled brick stack left, tall brick stack rises from eaves at rear in North East corner. Plan: L-shaped, millowner's house lying North South with mill building, now known as The Old Mill (not included) attached at South West. Two storeys, long 3 bay facade, irregularly placed fenestration, 3-light C19 casement left and 2 small C20 windows right, ground floor 3-light C19 casement left, buttress and remains of wall in centre, entrance right, C19 studded plank door. Main entrance now in attached C20 lean-to, one bay addition left. Slate roofed single storey block behind entrance with cellar extended shelter shed, approached by flight of steps, to North all extensively altered. Interior not viewed. The Mill is first mentioned in the rate books in 1652 according to the present owner (September 1983) of The Old Mill House who also his an 1836 survey of the property showing the truncated wall on the facade to be the remains of a wash house that lay parallel to the mill buildings.

Listing NGR: ST2063244048

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265200
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/08913/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kevin White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].