CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1057410

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057410 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 07:06:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: East Quantoxhead

National Grid Reference: ST 13641 43656

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST1343 EAST QUANTOXHEAD CP

13/75 Church of Saint Mary

22.5.69

GV II*

Parish Church. C14, refenestrated early C15, restored and redecorated 1698, vestry added, chancel partly rebuilt and church restored 1860. Blue lias random rubble, sandstone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. 2 bay nave, chancel, North East vestry, South porch, West tower. 3 stage crenellated tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell openings, tiny lancet below string course, 3-light West window, square crenellated stair turret North West corner. South front 2-light windows flanking porch with 2-light octagonal chamfered aullioned window set below eaves right, gabled porch, chamfered arched opening, holy water stoop and lancet on East wall, chamfered 4 centred arch door, chancel 2-light mullioned window with hood mould and 2-light arched window flanking priest's door with scratch dial to right, 3-light East window, 2-light window under East wall of vestry, North front of nave two 2-light windows. Interior: unplastered. C19 arch braced chancel roof, ribbed and plastered barrel vault to nave. C19 pointed chancel arch, 4 centred arch doorway to vestry in reset plank and muntin screen; vestry on site of earlier chancel aisle. Tower arch moulded in 2 orders with ogee headed stair turret door. Blocked 4 centred arch door to rood loft, blocked rood loft, opening above and another blocked door centre North nave wall. Rood screen day be C14 in part, restored C19. originally had large loft, fine set early C16 bench ends, pulpit dated 1633, Jacobean newel turned alter rails, canopy tomb North wall of chancel to Hugh Luttrell, died 1522 and his son Andrew, died 1538. (Photograph in NMR; Kelly's Directory 1902; VCH Somerset Vol S forthcoming).

Listing NGR: ST1364143656

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265121

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1902)

End of official listing