ALFOXTON PARK HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057418

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Statutory Address: ALFOXTON PARK HOTEL, ALFOXTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALFOXTON PARK HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057418 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 15:42:41.

Location

Statutory Address: ALFOXTON PARK HOTEL, ALFOXTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Holford

National Grid Reference: ST 14794 41378

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST14SW HOLFORD CP ALFOXTON

5/86 Alfoxton Park Hotel

22.5.69

GV II

Country house, now hotel. C18, refenestrated and re-roofed C19. Rendered over rubble, shallow pedimented central block breaks forward slightly, dentil cornice continued around tympanum, bitumen covered hipped slate roof, overhanging eaves, independently roofed asbestos slate covered addition left with central brick stacks, other brick stacks to rear of main block. Plan: double pile, addition to left originally an orangery. Main block: 2 and a half storeys, 2:3:2 bays, flat headed 4-light dormer casements flanking pediment with circular window in tympanum, all other windows long C19 2-light casements, keystones and blind boxes. Central pedimented Doric porch, frieze and dentil cornice, C20 half glazed double doors. Groundfloor 2 bays right largely obscured by ivy at time of survey (August 1983). Right, 5 bay addition, steeply pitched roof continued over verandah carried on circular rendered piers, St. Albyn crest on wall. Left 5 bay return, 2 segmental headed dormers, similar fenestration to facade. Interior: much altered C19 and C20. Listed for architectural and historic interest, the home of William and Dorothy Wordsworth between July 1797 and June 1798. Dorothy began her journal here in January 1798 but discontinued it 2 months later to recommence when the couple moved to the Lake District. (Photograph in NMR; Moorman, M (ed) Journals of Dorothy Wordsworth, 1971).

Listing NGR: ST1479441378

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265135

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Moorman, M, Journals of Dorothy Wordsworth, (1971)

End of official listing