Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1057420

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057420 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Mar-2019 at 19:43:23.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Holford

National Grid Reference: ST 17198 40561






Parish Church. Chancel rebuilt and Church enlarged C15, nave refenestrated and re-roofed C16, chancel refenestrated early C17, chapel added 1610, upper stage of tower 1772. Rendered, grooved as ashlar on chapel, quoins, tower blue lias and red sandstone random rubble, porch squared and coursed red sandstone, slate roofs, coped verges. 2 by nave, chancel, South East chapel, North porch, West tower. Crenellated 3 stage tower, 3-light West window, blocked roll moulded West door, square South West stair turret. South front, 2- and 3-light windows left of porch, hollow chamfered mullions with trefoil heads under square hood moulds, gabled porch, Moulded arched entrance, rectangular memorial plaque set in gable end, ribbed roof, niche for statue over inner door. Diagonal buttress at junction between nave and chancel, left 2-light ogee headed mullioned window under square hoodmould, 3-light East window similar 3-light East window to chapel, plaque above inscribed GD.ID, 1610. South front, 4 centred arch doorway, to left 3- and 2-light mullioned windows to nave. Interior: rendered. Ribbed barrel vault with bosses in nave, arch braced collar truss chancel roof. C14 chancel arch, round headed moulded arch to chapel from chancel. Chapel, erected 1610 as Dodington family pew, contains good set of early C17 bench ends, inset trefoil-headed panels, pews and panelling. Remains of medieval glass in chancel window. Choir stalls and pulpit circa 1910. Rare example of early C17 chapel with original fittings. (VCH Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming).

Listing NGR: ST1720140558


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265139

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)

End of official listing